Annika's CI Surgery

Friday, September 5, 2008

Annika's first day of school and daycare


Well, the first day is over and she had a great time. I got emails from two of her teachers and spoke to another one and everyone said she was very happy and glad to be at school. Not a big surprise for me but it was good to hear that it all went well. It went so well that she crashed when she got home last night about 5:30 and slept for at least a couple of hours. She did wake up to eat a little something and watch a little TV with me. She went back to bed around 10 p.m. without any problem (she is not usually awake this late but when she woke up from her late nap it was close to her bedtime so we bent the rules a little).

That is all the good news. Now for the not so good news. She went to daycare after school and was having a great time. She fell outside on the playground and both of her implants came off. They placed the left one back on and it worked just fine. The right one was put back on but continued to flash red. They changed the battery and also the headpiece nothing helped. So they called me at work to see what else could be done. The only other thing I thought of possibly was to try changing to a different program on her processor so they tried that and still nothing. I was hoping that there was a little connection that they didn't see and all would be well once we got her home but that wasn't the case either. She was very tired by the time I got to try to troubleshoot everything but we were not able to get the Harmony processor to work at all but the good news in this all is that she was able to hear with the BWP (back up processor). The only thing that concerns me is that when I was trying to hook everything back up she would cry and say that her implant site hurt. When I asked her why it hurt she said she hit it when she fell. When we talked to daycare they said she fell in the sand as she was trying to get to something else (not that I don't believe them; they did a great job trying to get things corrected for her and felt so bad that this happened on the first day of school). But there is wood around the sand (I think) so maybe she did hit her head on there. I don't know; it will be interesting on what she has to say this morning once I get her up.

I did call AB because everything was closed for the day here and spoke to an audiologist there. She believes that because the BWP did work that we are dealing with the external processor and we should be okay. But she did recommend that I call her implant center tomorrow and of course we will need to call her audiologist to possibly order another processor and have that programmed. This means another trip to the Twin Cities and I am not looking forward to this but such is life.

Tonight we have our big football game against GSL so I will try to put an update in here tomorrow morning.

No comments: